Monday, June 11, 2012

My First Dump Cake

 Ok I'll admit, I'm not much of a baker. At all. I've made a few things but when it comes to the kitchen, I feel like it can be so time consuming. Do I really want to spend an hour cooking something what will be eaten and gone in ten minutes? But I really want to change that. I think cooking is a really rewarding thing to do- just like crafting- after all that time and energy, you have something great to show for your work. I would really like to start spending more time in the kitchen making yummy, fresh, and healthy things to eat.

I was invited to a Sunday brunch at The Mister's Grandma's house. I like to keep old-fashioned traditions, so I didn't want to show up empty handed. I saw a wonderful recipe for a plum tart in the latest issue of Martha Stewart Living, and I got all excited to make it. But alas. Plums aren't in season yet. The Mister works at the grocery store and said they won't carry them for another whole week. Poo. So, plan B. I heard dump cakes were easy and quite tasty, so I thought I'd give it a shot! And you know what? It was phenomenal, if I do say so, myself. And I do.

What You'll Need:
  • Two 20oz cans of cherry pie filling
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • One box of white cake mix
  • One stick of butter, softened

Preheat the over to 350 degrees. Open your cherry pie filling and fill the bottom of a 9in X 13in pan. Spread evenly. Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the pie filling. In a mixing bowl, pour in the white cake mix and the add the stick of butter. Blend the butter in by hand with a pastry blender until well-incorporated. Pour that evenly over the cherries and bake for 50 minutes.


So simple. I love it.

Have you made a dump cake? Do you add anything else to your recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment