What you'll need:
- 1 pound box of penne rigate, but any pasta will work. I cooked the whole box but only used 3/4 of it. I set the rest aside and saved it for later.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 medium or 3/4 of a large one, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped into small chunks
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- optional fresh basil for garnish
- optional ricotta cheese for garnish
Step two: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. (A LARGE skillet. This recipe makes a whole lot of food!) Add onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Step three: Add eggplant to skillet. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover, and cook until eggplant begins to release juices, about 5 minutes. Uncover; cook, stirring, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes (if the bottom of your pan browns too much, add a few tablespoons water, and scrape with a spoon).
Step four: Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and 1/4 cup water to skillet; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Step five: Add pasta to the sauce and reheat if necessary. Top each serving with a spoonful of ricotta, and garnish with fresh basil.